Our overall aim is to:
Promote walking as a safe, enjoyable and easy way of getting around Edinburgh.
To this end, we want to see:
- walking given the top priority over other forms of travel in all council transport and planning policies;
- a reduction in the volume of motorised traffic and its impact on people using the street;
- better designed and maintained pavements, road crossings and other pedestrian facilities;
- more effective and joined-up monitoring and inspection of the walking environment by CEC;
- planning policy which encourages dense, sustainable housing over car-dominated development;
- more effective implementation of pro-walking policies ‘on the ground’.
Our priorities for action in 2016-17 are to:
- campaign for increased budgets (capital and staffing) for the pedestrian environment by CEC;
- influence the annual CEC capital maintenance programme, to maximise the benefits for walkers;
- support the 20 mph initiative, effectively enforced;
- campaign for a fundamental review of CEC’s policy on ‘A-boards’ and other street clutter;
- support the development of pedestrian-friendly cycle infrastructure;
- support location-specific campaigns including George Street, Holyrood Park and the Cowgate;
- grow the number of our supporters and campaigners.